Sunday, May 9, 2010

Loquat Jam

My mother has two Loquat trees.  She named them after the boy who lived next door and planted them between the houses.  She calls the one closest to her house her "Jacob Tree".  We've never done a thing with these fruits in the 4-5 years that they've grew there.

This year, determined not to let them go to waste, I decided to try to make jam for the first time.
The process wasn't hard at all!
  • Easily peel, seed, and dice 5 cups of the Loquats
  • While cutting, mix in the juice of a fresh juice of a lemon
  • I sterilized 8 six ounce jars and lids
  • Cook the fruit with about 1/8 cup water
  • Once softened, bring to a boil and add 1/2 tsp. of butter 
  • When the fruit is at ta rolling boil, add the Sure-gel and continue to boil
  • Add 7 cups of sugar and bring it to a rolling boil for one full minute.
  • Ladle the jam in to the hot jars, cap them, and give the jars a simmering water bath for 10 minutes.  
  • What a cool thing to hear the jars ping as they cool and seal!
 This was a great way to spend a couple hours on Mother's day.  i can't wait to share it with the people I love.  I only wish I could carry it on the plane to Dallas next month to share it with my twin sis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks super fun to make! I want to do this next time too! :) I love that your mom named those trees. How sweet! <3